Friday, August 12, 2011

Walk

I just got back from a walk. It is good to get back in the habit of walking every day. I really missed it. Today the weather was wonderful. Since it had been in the 100s recently 88 or 90 actually feels nice.

One thing I've noticed now that the temperature is more tolerable is that there are a LOT more people out. When the heat index was 105 and 110 I didn't have to share the sidewalk with anyone. I miss that. So why are there more people now? Is it because it is more comfortable? It is easier? People don't want to walk outside if they think they will be miserable. I walk in the heat, the rain, the wind; even in the cold and snow. I enjoy it all. I think it helps me appreciate the nicer weather days more as a result.

I did a Bible search on the words "walk in". I got more than I bargained for. Here are some things we are told to walk in:
God's instruction.
God's laws.
Obedience.
His ways.
The fear of the Lord.
Integrity.
God's truth.
Love!
The brightness of His presence.
The way of good men.
A manner worthy of your calling.
Walk in newness of life.
WALK IN FREEDOM!


Things to avoid:
Walking in the stubborness of my own heart.
Walking in a way that results in dishonest gain, taking bribes and perverting justice.
Walking in the counsel of the wicked.
Walking in my own devices.
Walking in the flesh.


When I follow God's plan with my walk He promises:
"rest for my soul" Jeremiah 6:16
"it will be well with me" Jeremiah 7:23


So I will keep walking. No matter the season or the weather. Not just because of the excercise it provides but because of the reminder it is that I am on this journey with God that requires me to consider my walk. Where am I going? How am I getting there? Who am I serving in the process? Who am I loving?

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love."
2 John 1:6

Every time I obey God I am showing Him how much I love Him.  

Hmmmm....I think I'll ponder more on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment