Ecclesiastes 5:19 (NLT)
And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God.
As I meditate on the first part of this verse two things strike me. One is “receive wealth from God”. I’m intrigued by this. What is this wealth? Based on looking at various biblical translations (I’m not trained in the original Greek) my best guess is that this verse is indeed referring to material wealth; things, money, possessions. There are so many movements out there claiming you can “get rich” if you just have enough faith. But I don’t see this as a “get rich” statement. Wealth is subjective. I live in a modest home and have a modest income (by American standards). Yet I consider myself wealthy because I believe all I have and all I own are gifts from God. Whether it is little or it is much. I know so many who never have enough, they are always seeking to have more, and they never seem to be satisfied. I am thankful that, for the most part, I am satisfied with what I have.The second part of the first sentence is that God gives us good health to enjoy our wealth. Again, I am intrigued. “Good health”, the NIV states it this way “and the ability to enjoy them”. I find that interesting and perhaps it speaks to my observation that some who have much wealth never seem to be satisfied by it. The “want for more” becomes their religion and since that can be an unending cycle they never find what they are seeking.
Perhaps true joy comes from knowing all we have is a gift from God. And if we seek to enjoy our work, whatever that is, our reward is contentment. Ahhhh...contentment; if I had that all the time I would consider myself the wealthiest person on this planet.
No comments:
Post a Comment