Monday, August 8, 2011

Lost

There was a popular TV show titled “LOST”. This post is not about that. But let me digress for just a moment.
When that show first came on the scene it was hugely popular. So many watched it and more importantly talked about it. Then...the infamous ending. That ending left some baffled, some disappointed, some were quite furious feeling they had wasted a lot of time watching the show. I didn’t hear anyone jumping up and down excited about the ending. You probably should know that I come from the MASH era. That series finale still has people talking. But LOST has been forgotten except by a faithful few.
I recently lost something very precious to me. It is irreplaceable. I am still in denial that it is lost. I don’t know what I’ll do if I can’t find it. It has been with me since 1992. Today when someone looked for it, where I was sure it would be found, I still had hope. But then I got the email that basically said “no luck”. My eyes immediately teared up. I got that lump in my throat that only comes when I am completely heart broken. What will I do now? 19 years of wisdom written on the pages lost. It would be impossible to reconstruct it all or even in part. I feel broken and defeated. Why was this “thing” so important to me? It isn’t the book itself; it is all memories that are contained on each page. I need it and it is gone.
I’ve lost other things in my life that didn’t affect this deeply. I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring, my homework, my virginity (yes it’s true - ask my kids). All had different emotions but this one cuts to my soul. Yet, I am not hopeless. I continue to pray that I will find it. I pray that I will remember the last time I saw it. Where was I? I don’t remember borrowing it to anyone; I can’t even imagine I would have. So I turned to God’s word for comfort and wisdom.
My first search brought back 151 verses. I narrowed my search to just the NASB and had 41 verses return. So many lost things are mentioned. Here is a short list:
·         Riches
·         Courage
·         Lives
·         Power
·         A coin
·         Hope
·         “Their” heart
·         “Their” senses
·         “Their” faith

God however is only concerned about one thing when it is lost…you and me. That’s it; nothing else.
Ecclesiastes 3:6 tells us that there is a time to search and a time to give up as lost. I’m not giving up yet on what I lost, I will keep searching. But, at some point, if it is not found I will give up the search. If you are lost to God, He will keep seeking you. He will not force Himself on you but He also will not tire of waiting for you. I once was lost and the funny thing is I didn’t even know it. I only discovered how lost I was after God found me.
Luke 19:10   <NASB>
“For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”

No comments:

Post a Comment