Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stagnation

Have you ever heard someone say “if God wants that to happen it will just happen” or “if you only had more faith then it would just happen” or my personal favorite “if you do it then you aren’t trusting that God is in control and you are limiting God” (like we have any power to limit God). I think these types of comments can often be lacking in wise advice. Situations vary and so the wisdom here needs to be applied appropriately. Proverbs 15:22 starts by saying “without consultation”.

For those two words to mean anything it would imply that someone has to do something. Like seek consultation from others, duh. This verse implies that someone has “plans”. There is something they would like to do. The instruction is not sit around with plans and just wait and see if God moves in some miraculous way. The assumption being made here is that we are doing something to see our plans succeed and it is giving advice about what the best thing to do is. Seek advice from someone wiser or more experienced than yourself. In fact don’t stop at one someone – seek out the advice of “many counselors”.

The expectation here seems to be that we will live active lives, doing things. Not passive lives waiting to see God do things. In fact, in my experience it is when I’m active doing something for God that I see Him working in my life and the lives of others more than ever. And I also wonder how many times God was doing something and planned to use me (or you) but we didn’t act because we were waiting for Him to do it. All the time He is screaming “I am doing something. And I’m wanting you to be part of it!”         Hmmmm…

May all your plans succeed.
May God go before, with and after you.
May your life be full and may you always be busy with things that have eternal value.

Proverbs 15:22 <NASB>
Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment