'Parable of the Evil Farmers' Mark 12:5b-6 <NLT>
“… Others he sent were either beaten or killed, until there was only one left – his son whom he loved dearly. The owner finally sent him, thinking, “Surely they will respect my son.”
As I read Jesus’ words this morning I was struck by the fact that He was teaching them about Himself. I meditated on the owners words “surely they will respect my son”. At dictionary.com it states respect is “esteem (honor) of the worth or excellence of a person”. When God sent Jesus to earth I wonder if He hoped His Son would be respected despite the fact that He knew man would reject Him.
In our society respect must be earned. Yet, there are times when respect is expected. Example: we are to respect those in authority – police, firefighters, etc. Typically we give people in positions of authority respect which they continue to have unless they do something to violate that honor. Jesus, the Son of God, does not have to do anything to earn my respect. I give it to Him because of who He is. But how often do I neglect showing God my respect?
Just yesterday I was thinking about how my husband and I exchange these words every single day, “I love you today.” It is the way we remind each other how much we value our relationship and how we remind ourselves to guard our love and never take it for granted. As I thought on this, I was challenged with how many days go by and I neglect having any quite time with the Lord. I neglect saying “I love you Lord” because I’m too busy or I just figure He already knows that. God will never do anything to violate my respect yet I could be in danger of letting it slip away if I don’t find myself in His word daily and in communication with Him daily.
That time is critical for me and cherished by Him. I should never rush through it so I can check it off my daily "to do" list. I should never “fit it in” while driving to work where I can be easily distracted and can never give it 100% of my attention. NO, it must be intentional time that is set aside and never pushed aside. It is how I not only say “Lord, I love you today” but it is how I show Him I love Him. It is how I remind myself of the gift His love is to me and the priority my relationship with Him should be.
Every
single
day!
No comments:
Post a Comment